Thursday, September 4, 2014

Honey Bun Race!

You've probably seen some of those Jelly Roll Race quilts here and there on the internet. For a while, they were quite the rage! I especially loved watching the Jelly Roll Race tutorial from Missouri Star Quilt Company. That Jenny Doan, she just cracks me up! I was itching to make one of them, but didn't have a jelly roll in the house. So, necessity being the mother of invention, I used the only thing at hand--a Honey Bun. You are probably familiar with Jelly Rolls--adorable rolls of 2 1/2" strips of fabric. Well, a Honey Bun is even cuter--it has 1 1/2" strips. I had a really cute one with fabric from Sandy Gervais, can't remember the name of it right now, but it was in her signature colors of orange, blue, and green, and it was very GIRLY. It was so much fun to just keep sewing strip after strip together until the whole thing was sewn up. Only thing was...I must have done something wrong, because when I was finished, parts of it were really distorted and didn't lie flat at all. So I chopped it up into pieces, trying to salvage the flat parts. Then I just abandoned it altogether.

Yesterday, when I was thinking about making a quilt for our new little great-granddaughter, I decided to see how bad the chopped up pieces from the Honey Bun Race were and could they possibly be used. And you know what, it wasn't half as bad as I remembered. So I sewed all the pieces together, added on a narrow inner border and a piano key border, and voila! A quilt for the new baby!


No comments: