Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Finished!

My Spiderweb quilt is finished. I ended up making it lap sized, and it has already been put to good use on those chilly evenings when we sit on the couch reading. This was a fun quilt to make, and I love looking at all the various scraps. Some came from my own scrap bins, of course, but others were given to me by my friends in Beitar. When I look at their fabrics, it reminds me of them. I love that!
You're going to have to excuse the wierd lighting on this next one. Didn't realize till after I took it that the sun was across part of the quilt and the rest was in shade. Am waiting to take a better picture, but our rainy season has begun and it's too wet to go outside and take a photo. I did love making this quilt, and it really marked a new departure for me. I have wanted to try the big-stitch "utility" quilting for a couple of years now, but was always afraid to. I was worried that tugging the knot through the fabric would leave holes--that perle cotton is thicker than regular quilting thread--and that my stitches wouldn't be even enough. Well, I thought that big-stitch quilting would be perfect for this star quilt and decided to give it a try. I watched Sara Fielke's video tutorial numerous times until I felt confident, and then dove right in. And all my previous fears were unfounded--the knot in the thread doesn't make any holes in the fabric, and my stitches were pretty close to perfect! (I'll post a picture with a close-up of my stitches soon, so you will get to see what I am talking about.) The perle cotton adds a lot to the look of the quilt, and the best part: in a matter of days the quilting was finished. I am generally not the fastest hand-quilter, so for me this was great.

This last quilt was made with Civil War reproduction fabrics. The pattern was in Carol Hopkins' book, Civil War Legacies. It's machine pieced and hand quilted. I loved working on this one. Each fabric is beautiful, and I enjoyed quilting it. This was worked on while I was traveling to Houston in October. I must be the only one who loves long layovers in multiple airports--so much time to sit and stitch!  
 
Posted by Picasa

No comments: